« PreviousContinue »
1. Translate the following extract from a letter written by Cicero, in exile, to his wife Terentia :
Haec si tu, ut scribis, fato facta putarem, ferrem paulo facilius, sed omnia sunt mea culpa commissa, qui ab eis me amari putabam, qui invidebant, eos non sequebar, qui petebant. Quod si nostris consiliis usi essemus neque apud nos tantum valuisset sermo aut stultorum amicorum aut improborum, beatissimi viveremus: nunc, quoniam sperare nos amici iubent, dabo operam, ne mea valetudo tuo labori desit.
(a) Ego vero fateor me his studiis esse deditum : ceteros pudeat, si qui ita se litteris abdiderunt, ut nihil possint ex eis neque ad communem afferre fructum neque in aspectum lucemque proferre me autem quid pudeat, qui tot annos ita vivo, iudices, ut a nullius umquam me tempore aut commodo aut otium meum abstraxerit aut voluptas avocarit aut denique somnus retardarit ?
(b) Et quidam seros hiberni ad luminis ignes
3. Do not translate the phrases which follow: merely state, as clearly as you can, the meaning of the words in italics-mandare versibus laborum praeconium: quantum alii tribuunt tempestivis conviviis: in beneficiis ad aerarium delatus est: Martis manubias Musis consecrare: frumentum sibi in cellam imperavit: de populo subscriptor additur: Eliadum palmas Epiros equarum: Eleusinae matris volventia plaustra fratris radiis obnoxia Luna.
4. Give the dates of the delivery or publication of (a) the Divinatio in Q. Caecilium; (b) the pro Archia; and (c) the Georgics. How had Archias received the Roman franchise? What models had Virgil for his Georgics?
5. What events marked the course of the war in Italy from 213 to 208 B.C.?
6. Give a brief account of the First Servile War in Sicily.
7. In what connexion do we find the following names mentioned in Roman History:-M. Atilius Regulus, Q. Lutatius Catulus, C. Papirius Carbo, T. Quinctius Flamininus, P. Ventidius Bassus?
1. Write down the gen. sing. and dat. pl. of yévos, daμñás, yeμov. Write out the sing. of Tpinpns, and the pl. of veús. 2. Give the comparative of ἡδύς, εὔχαρις, πέπων, μέγας, καλός.
3. Write down, in the contracted form, all the persons of the pres. indic. act. sing. of Sŋλów, and of the impf. indic. act. pl. of φιλέω.
4. Give the perf, and aor. of πάσχω, ἀνδάνω, ὄμνυμι, κόπτω.
5. Translate into Greek :
(a) Some of the citizens brought this indictment against Socrates.
(b) By doing what do they say that the wise teacher corrupted the young men ?
(c) If what is said by the poets is true, I fear that sometimes even the gods are hostile to one another.
(d) Do not wonder at those who consider it of very great importance not to wrong any one in anything.
6. Translate into English:
[Creusa invites her aged attendant to approach the oracle.] ὦ πρέσβυ παιδαγώγ' Ερεχθέως πατρὸς τοὐμοῦ ποτ' ὄντος, ἡνίκ ̓ ἦν ἔτ' ἐν φάει, ἔπαιρε σαυτὸν πρὸς θεοῦ χρηστήρια, ὥς μοι συνησθῇς, εἴ τι Λοξίας ἄναξ θέσπισμα παίδων εἰς γονὰς ἐφθέγξατο σὺν τοῖς φίλοις γὰρ ἡδὺ μὲν πράσσειν καλῶς· ὃ μὴ γένοιτο δ', εἴ τι τυγχάνοι κακόν,
εἰς ὄμματ' εὔνου φωτὸς ἐμβλέψαι γλυκὺ.
REV. PROFESSOR BROWNE.
(α) τοῦ ἡμετέρου προγόνου, ὦ Εὐθύφρον, ἔοικεν εἶναι Δαιδάλου τὰ ὑπὸ σοῦ λεγόμενα. καὶ εἰ μὲν αὐτὰ ἐγὼ ἔλεγον καὶ ἐτιθέμην, ἴσως ἄν με ἐπέσκωπτες, ὡς ἄρα καὶ ἐμοὶ κατὰ τὴν ἐκείνου ξυγγένειαν τὰ ἐν τοῖς λόγοις ἔργα ἀποδιδράσκει καὶ οὐκ ἐθέλει μένειν ὅπου ἄν τις αὐτὰ θῇ· νῦν δέσαὶ γὰρ αἱ ὑποθέσεις εἰσίν· ἄλλου δή τινος δεῖ σκώμματος. οὐ γὰρ ἐθέλουσί σοι μένειν, ὡς καὶ αὐτῷ σοι δοκεῖ.
(3) οὐκοῦν ἐκ τῶν ὁμολογουμένων τοῦτο σκεπτέον, πότερον δίκαιον ἐμὲ ἐνθένδε πειρᾶσθαι ἐξιέναι μὴ ἀφιέντων 'Αθηναίων ἢ οὐ δίκαιον· καὶ ἐὰν μὲν φαίνηται δίκαιον, πειρώμεθα, εἰ δὲ μή, ἐῶμεν. ἃς δὲ σὺ λέγεις τὰς σκέψεις περί τε ἀναλώσεως χρημάτων καὶ δόξης καὶ παίδων τροφῆς, μὴ ὡς ἀληθῶς ταῦτα, ὦ Κρίτων, σκέμματα ᾗ τῶν ῥᾳδίως ἀποκτιννύντων καὶ ἀναβιωσκομένων γ ̓ ἄν, εἰ οἷοί τε ἦσαν, οὐδενὶ ξὺν νῷ, τούτων τῶν πολλῶν.
καὶ πρῶτα μὲν καθεῖσαν εἰς ὤμους κόμας,
2. Write notes on the following phrases :
ἄγκος ἀμφίκρημνον: τἀπὶ θάτερα: ̓Αχελῷον φέρειν: πᾶν κρεῖσσον ὥστε μὴ ἐγγελᾶν: φυλάσσων μὴ ναχαιτίσειέ νιν.
3. Parse the following (adding principal parts of verbs) : δεδίασιν, πεσεῖται, ἐκπλαγήσει, ἀπεκρίνω.
4. The Euthyphro is said to be a πειραστικὸς dialogue. Explain and illustrate.
5. Assign important events to the following dates: B.C. 495, 479, 411, 362.
6. For what were the following Greeks celebrated :Conon, Gylippus, Lysander ?
REV. PROFESSOR O'NEILL.
1. Write a note on (a) the repetition of the article before co-ordinate nouns; (b) the use of foreign plurals; (c) the use of the plural verb after collective nouns. Give illustrations.
2. Criticise, and if necessary re-write, the following sentences:
(α) Gulliver's Travels are Swift's masterpiece; being published in 1727, the public bought them eagerly.
(b) There is probably no one who bestows any thought upon the problems of history, who will not acknowledge their indebtedness to Mr. Carlyle.
(c) He was annoyed by his brother dividing the loaf between the four.
Not uninvented that, which thou aright
What is the substance of the rest of Satan's speech, and what occupied the remaining time 'ere day-spring'?
4. Explain the sense of the following lines :
The other sort,
In might though wondrous and in acts of war,
5. Describe the banquet at which the Baron entertained Waverley.
6. Describe Colonel Gardiner and Mr. Gilfillan, indicating the part they play in the story.
Write an essay on one of the following subjects:
(a) Gardens in town and country.
(c) The comparative advantages of studying fiction.