« PreviousContinue »
The Royal University of Ireland.
EXAMINATION PAPERS, 1902.
PASS EXAMINATIONS IN MEDICINE.
SECOND EXAMINATION IN MEDICINE.
1. Describe the sternum, and state exactly where each true rib articulates with it.
2. Give a complete account of the wrist-joint.
3. Describe the subscapularis muscle. Your description is to include its appearance, exact attachments, nerve and blood supply. What is its action?
4. Give the anatomy of the quadratus lumborum muscle, including its relations.
5. Describe the form, position, and relations of the stomach.
6. Compare the right and left ventricles of the heart, including their valvular openings.
1. (a) Describe the mechanism of coughing and of hiccough.
(b) Give diagrams shewing the arrangement of bloodvessels in the mucous membrane of the stomach and in a Peyer's patch.
2. Mention the characters of glycogen, and discuss the views which are held as to its destination in the body.
3. What is nitrogenous equilibrium? How is it influenced by a purely proteid diet, and by a mixed diet of proteid carbohydrate and fat? How much nitrogen is excreted daily by the average healthy man, and how is the amount estimated?
4. Enumerate the ingredients of the cutaneous secretions. Describe concisely the mechanisms by which sweat is produced as well as the conditions by which the amount of the secretion is regulated.
5. Give an account of the physical and chemical properties of hæmoglobin. How can its amount in the blood be estimated both absolutely and relatively?
6. Describe the circulation of the blood in the capillaries. What circumstances influence the volume of blood passing through or contained in capillary districts.